How I Work with Buyers
Our Initial Meeting - Is This a Good Time to Buy
- I will meet with you and discuss timing and what kind of home you would like to have – from architecture to lifestyle.
- I will share with you my knowledge of different neighborhoods in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and the South East Valley and what kind of home you can expect within your price ranges. We’ll talk about the aspects of each neighborhood, different architectural styles, the typical size of homes and lots, nearby schools, transportation.
- We will discuss various ways of buying real estate – cash, conventional, FHA, VA, USDA or Seller financing – and what may work best for you and the current market. I will connect you with excellent lenders who have closed transactions on time and with great service on my previous transactions.
- I will explain how your personal home search website and automatic notifications work
- I will also walk you through the Buyer Advisory and each step of the purchase transaction
- We will discuss a home search strategy that works for you – sometimes clients contact me a year in advance; usually the home-buying process takes about 1-3 months
Then, We Start Searching for the Right Home
- Once we know your time-frames and schedules, we will start looking at homes that you have selected through your Portal.
- I will encourage you to provide me as much feedback as possible on homes we have seen – I put those comments in a spreadsheet, and pretty soon we find that we have isolated quite clearly your likes, dislikes, maybes, compromises you can make, must-haves
- I set up the system to notify you when homes in your search change status - become under contract, or sold. That’s a good way to keep an eye on the market dynamics.
- We can also use the Lasso tool - where all your favorite listings from various sites could be organized in one place. Click on the Lasso.net link and set your account.
We Found It – Making the Offer
- Once we find the home that you’d like to purchase, I’ll prepare the offer. We may offer more than asking price, or less, or put contingencies. It all depends on many factors – how hot the market is that week, the condition of the property, the location of the property, how many other bidders there are, the seller’s situation, how long the property has been on the market, how much you love the property, how long you plan to keep it.
- I will prepare an easy to read one-page statistical market analysis, as well as a detailed view of comparable homes that are active on the market, have sold in the last couple of month, or are under contract now.
- When writing the offer we will discuss the importance of the major elements: purchase price, earnest money, down payment, length of inspection contingency, loan and appraisal contingency, close of escrow date, special conditions, pre-qualification letter from your lender.
- Sometimes, it is helpful to have a letter to the Seller highlighting your strengths as a Buyer – if we decide to write one, I will help you write it, too.
Your Offer Is Accepted – We Are in Escrow
- Escrow is the period between offer acceptance and transfer of title to you – it is a very intensive period, where you will have to review documents, make decisions on the condition of the property, and communicate with your lender, who will be asking you for various documents. I will be there for you – to find answers, interpret, and ease the stress, in general.
- When your offer is accepted, we open escrow and the clock starts ticking.
- I will deposit the earnest money with the escrow company within 24 hours of offer acceptance
- I will prepare for you, the escrow officer and the lender a Critical Dates List, containing dates for inspections, loan contingencies, and important contacts – that way we can all be on the same page.
- I will forward you the Seller Property Disclosure Statement (SPDS), which the seller will send us within 5 days of offer acceptance.
- The title company will send you for your review Preliminary Title Report – the document which describes liens, encumbrances, possible easements or restrictions on the property.
- I will attend the Home Inspection walk-through with you and the Home Inspector, I will review the Home Inspection Report with you and then, we will decide what to write on The Buyer Inspection Notice to the Seller (BINSR). I will remind you to obtain a home insurance quote within the inspection period, and review the CC&Rs.
- Throughout the transaction I will stay in touch with your Lender and provide them with all the necessary contract documents.
Signing and Getting Keys
- I will accompany you to your signing the loan documents and settlement statement and we will review the statement line by line.
- Once Title records the transaction, you will get the keys
After Close of Escrow
- I would love to stay in touch with you, after the transaction closes
- Please email me the home improvement projects that you have undertaken
- I will be happy to share with you my favorite contractor lists.